Explorations

I've had a blast in recent years exploring various aspects of the arts I study. Like what, you may ask. Well...

Slipping judo nage waza into aikido
I say "slipping" because I don't really think I intend to add judo into aikido, or combine them in anyway. Though they do go nicely together, they're slightly different animals, and prefer to regard them as such. That being said, there are occasions when a little leg or hip action can augment a technique nicely.

I also say "slipping" judo in because I'm not really interested in trying to teach students who only study aikido how to do proper judo throws. Learning judo throws is a complex best reserved for, as you may have guessed, judo class. Rather, I want to a wee bit of judo principles to their aikido; just enough to augment what they already know, but not so much that it confuses them or complicates things.

Not sure what happened here, but it sure looks uncomfortable.


Bringing more renraku waza into judo throwing
One of the things that really made my aikido (and the whole school's, frankly) is the introduction of a number of renraku waza, or combination technique, drills. It helped so much, I wanted to try and do a bit of it in judo, too.

Not that combination techniques are anything new to judo, but for the most part, all the examples I've seen are only two throws deep. Thus far, I've decided to focus on going three techniques deep to start with, and may go further eventually.

I've only just begun introducing the drills into class, so it's too early to tell if it will actually benefit anyone in actual randori. But I can't help but believe it will, because more often than not, the main thing that seems to get in the way of most guys is trying a throw, and when it fails, they reset, or go back to square one before trying their second throw. They key, I believe, is learning how to step from one throw immediately into the next.


Bringing more renraku waza into judo grappling
This one is trickier because it seems like there are so many facets of grappling that it would difficult to create a finite set of drills that would encompass it all. Nonetheless, I carry on undaunted! I've done one of two dealing primarily with hold-downs and escapes, and right now, I'm going through one for chokes that's going quite well.

. . . . .

As I've been promising for forever it seems, I'd like to get all this on video, but I've been without a decent camera for a while, which is something I hope to remedy shortly.

Comments

  1. i taught you the wrong term a few years back -- best i can tell it turns out renraku indicates several iterations of the same waza -- renzoku -- indicates the linking of waza to waza in succesion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, from what I've gathered by looking around, "Renzoku Waza" tends to be defined as "Combination techniques in which the second technique is a continuation of the first in the same or similar direction," and "Renraku Waza" as "Combination techniques in which the second technique uses the reaction of the opponent to throw in a completely different direction." And then the term "Henka Waza" refers to variations of a single technique.

    That being said, I've run in to a fair number of "geijin" misusing and misinterpretting Japanese terms, so....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment